The SSI Freediving Pool course is a great first step for developing solid freediving skills. You learn basic freediving principles and focus on practicing breathhold techniques in a pool. This course is a great, cost-effective option if you are only interested in pool training and require certification to train with a freediving club. Upon completion of the SSI Freediving Pool course, you can upgrade to a SSI Freediving Level 1 certification through Encounter Freediving by completing a knowledge/skill review, and the open water requirements of the SSI Freediving Level 1 course.
To enroll in a SSI Freediving Pool course you must be at least 12 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with freediving is required.
What is involved?
The SSI Freediving Pool course consists of the following:
- Knowledge development through independent study with the mySSI App. This is to be completed prior to the course day and the instructor will review any questions you have prior to the pool session.
- A multiple-choice exam
- Pool session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea, plus proper safety, buddying, and rescue procedures. Goal – dynamic apnea of at least 30 metres and arm-stroke only dynamic of 15 metres.
What will you learn?
- Freediving equipment
- The physiology of freediving
- Freediving skills
- The diving environment
- Safe freediving practices
What does it cost?
An SSI Freediving Pool course costs $250 (for Brisbane-based courses).
- Course materials
- Self-development of knowledge through the mySSI App.
- One pool session that includes static apnea, dynamic apnea and rescue techniques (typically three hours, however, we cater to the needs of students and can take shorter or longer)
- Certification, upon successful course completion.
What’s not included?
- Personal equipment (mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit (recommended), weight belt).