This program provides you with the training and knowledge required to safely freedive with a buddy in open water environments to depths of 20 meters. You will earn the SSI Level 1 Freediving certification after completing this program. To enroll in an SSI Freediving Level 1 course you must be at least 12 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with freediving is required.
What is involved?
The SSI Freediving Level 1 course consists of the following:
- Knowledge development through independent study with the mySSI App. This is to be completed prior to the course day and the instructor will review any questions you have prior to the pool session.
- A multiple-choice exam
- Pool session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea, plus proper safety, buddying, and rescue procedures. Goal – dynamic apnea of at least 30 metres and arm-stroke only dynamic of 15 metres.
- Open water sessions to practice free immersion and constant weight freedives, plus proper buddy procedures. Goal – constant weight freedive between 10 and 20 metres.
All but the open water sessions can be completed as part of an SSI Freediving Pool program.
What will you learn?
- Freediving equipment
- The physiology of freediving
- Freediving skills
- The diving environment
- Safe freediving practices
What does it cost?
An SSI Freediving Pool course costs $590 (for Brisbane-based courses). If you already hold a SSI Freediving Pool certification, the cost is $420 (for Brisbane-based courses).
- Course materials
- Self-development of knowledge through the mySSI App.
- One pool session that includes static apnea, dynamic apnea and rescue techniques (typically three hours, however, we cater to the needs of students and can take shorter or longer)
- One day of open water sessions (light snacks will be provided).
- A fun dive with wildlife, after all open water skills are completed (time and conditions permitting).
- Certification, upon successful course completion.
If you have completed an SSI Freediving Pool certification, your course fees include certification costs (upon successful completion), a knowledge and practical skill review, and one day of open water sessions (including fun dive if time permits).
What’s not included?
- Personal equipment (mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit (recommended), weight belt).